Social Media

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

WW3 Reflections: Her Perspective

Swagggg!  Jacket and commemorative brick!
Well, last week certainly was something, to say the least.  I realize that this was an endurance challenge, and that it was.  I realize that all participants, and other runners in general, have faced unique individual triumphs and challenges, but this post is all about my personal experience with the WW3 endurance challenge.
Feature shot of the commemorative brick... we're scared to
put our bricks on our swag shelves... might break 'em!
The first part of the challenge that I wanted to reflect on was my commitment to training.  I didn't realize that I could be this committed to any training.  While training for RnRSav, I was fairly committed to my training plan, doing most of my mileage, just on different days or in a different order than what the plan called for.  Doing this challenge, I knew what was expected of me-- 6.2 every day, 7 days straight.  I made it work.  Despite work, fatigue, and other complications (like life and everything else in it), I was committed to my challenge: every day, every mile (and tenth of a mile).

Artsy shot of the swag, compliments of the mister
The second part of this challenge that I wanted to write about is the mental/emotional aspect.  Attitude is a very powerful thing.  Whether it be positive or negative, attitude affects everything.  And I'm gonna be honest, my attitude can be pretty crappy.  I have been battling with my negativity for a while, and although I love running, that can be a downfall.  This challenge helped me curb some negativity because I knew that I had to do my runs.  Not because I was being forced against my will.  But because I decided to commit and rise to the challenge.  Although some things didn't go exactly the way I wanted them to and the weather didn't cooperate (because duh, it's winter but that's the point of the challenge), but after my turning point on Day 5, I refueled my emotional gas tank and pulled out the motivation to finish strong.

Forgot to include this gem...my empty gas tank from Day 5!
Retrospect is an amazing thing, though.  Looking back, I am proud of my commitment and overcoming my obstacles.  Of course, at the time, I was tired, frustrated, and running low on time and energy, but now in retrospect, I am just proud.  Everybody else should be proud, too.  People who participated in WW3, runners in general, and oh, everybody else.  We're all overcoming something.
Be proud.
Just a little reflection food for thought...
Or just some quote I found on Pinterest and lovelovelove!

The greatest of these is SPIRIT.
So applicable for this past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment