Social Media

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Giving Thanks

Since the Rock and Roll Savannah marathon, I have felt extremely down on myself.  Well, honestly, even before then I started feeling it.  All of this "marathon-mania" has been really overwhelming with positive and negative emotions.

I was inspired to write a post immediately following my marathon about how I feel like I have literally 0% natural aptitude for running.  Why do I think this?  Because I feel like I have to seemingly work harder than other runners to only be half as good.  Every single step I run, I feel as though I have to earn.

But now, the day before Thanksgiving, I write with a change of heart.  I realize I am a little more adept than I give myself credit for.  You see, I looked at myself and my attitude today, and reflected on everything I've been feeling lately.  This change of heart occurred after watching this video today. This video is about a girl who is running while she can.  Suffering from MS, she pushes through each and every run, just to enjoy her abilities while she can do what she loves, and I think that's amazing.

So now, I have to give myself credit for the fact that I have some natural aptitude for running.  First of all, I have 2 completely willing and able legs.  Each leg should count for at least 25% aptitude right?  Right!  So this means 2 legs x 25% aptitude = 50% aptitude right off the bat!  Also, the fact that I have no medical conditions that completely PREVENT me from running, so that's easily an additional 25%, right?  Right!  So that just leaves 25% that I'm missing.  That remaining 25%, I believe is a positive attitude.  This is something that I am currently lacking, but it's something that I can work on and improve.  This means that ultimately I have 75% aptitude for running that I never even realized that I had!

Thanksgiving is a time traditionally used to give thanks for all the great things in life.  For me, that includes my family, my supportive husband, and all the things that I have (wants AND needs).  But this year, I feel like the need to give thanks for a few extra things.  I am incredibly thankful for my physical health, despite my minor issues.  I am extremely thankful for my 2 wonderful legs that allow me to run.  I am amazingly thankful for all the people in my life who have supported me in this crazy running adventure that I have embarked upon.  Last but not least, I am thankful for my 75% natural aptitude for running, even though it doesn't seem like it sometimes.  I am challenging myself this Thanksgiving to be truly thankful and to count my blessings.  And I hope that you will count yours, too. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment