Social Media

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Jingle Jog 5K


Friday began Christmas break for my mister and me.  We took off to Georgia to visit my family, and while we were there, we decided to participate in a 5K.  After some research, we found a 5K right there in Barrow County where all my family lives, which is also where we were staying.  The Jingle Jog 5K was a nice little local race of just under 100 people.  The race began at a local park, and although we never ever like to register on race day, we had to register the morning of the race because we had gotten in a little late the night before.  So, Saturday morning, we registered and got ready and took off at 9:30 AM.  The weather was perfect, although a bit chilly, and we took off around the park.  Despite this area of Georgia being moderately flat compared to where we live in Virginia, this course had 2 major hills, and one of the major hills, we had to go up twice.  So that's like three hills in all, but fortunately, those three hills we had to go up, we also got to come back down.



Struggling up one of the challenging hills, the second time around
So, for those of you who haven't seen any Facebook posts, this race was amazing for both of us.  Despite the hills and somewhat chilly weather, we both hit a personal record.  I was hoping for one since the Pancake Run, when I came sooooo close to a PR, but then things went, umm, awry.  I was hoping that maybe I would be able to hit a new 5K PR by spring.  Little did I know that I would be able to do it right before Christmas.... It was a Christmas miracle indeed!!!  Or maybe it was just the extra speed training I've been doing, as well as feeling extra motivated on the morning of the run.  Either way, I'm going to tell you something-- this race, I pushed harder than I have ever pushed in any race, which I guess makes sense since it was my fastest time.  Those hills were killer, but I managed to push through them, as did Mr. Marathon.
Is this Prancer? Or Dasher?  Or Comet?  Or Dancer???
Chilly rainy weather didn't slow us down!
We really enjoyed this race, except for just a couple of little things.  First of all, this race had the weirdest age groups.  Instead of 5 or 10 year age groups, this race had 20 year age groups, which was really different than what we're used to.  Also, they didn't do overall awards.  Between no overall awards and such large age groups, I didn't get to place.  If they did overall places OR they did normal age groups, I would have come in 2nd place.  I came in 4th in my large age group, regardless.  And hubbs came in first place overall, but since they didn't do overall places, he just came in first in his age group, even though he won the thing by a good 3 minutes!  Either way, we both got a PR, and he won a comfy cozy blanket for his prize, and it was a fun weekend.


Post-race cheesin!

There I am!  Elizabeth Garcia, 27:52!

There's Hubbs!  Alfredo Garcia, 18:21!!

Oh, and the shirts were super cute!





No comments:

Post a Comment