Social Media

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Jingle Bell Run 5K: The Aftermath

I apologize for the delay of this post.  Regardless, on Saturday, I ran the Jingle Bell Run 5K in Roanoke, VA.  The weather was absolutely perfect for running in my opinion.  The race was scheduled to start at 9 AM and it was just a bit chilly.  There were SO MANY PARTICIPANTS.  I could not believe the crowd!  Of all the races I have run locally, this seemed like the largest crowd I have ever seen.  That is wonderful, considering this race benefited the Arthritis Foundation.  The run was kind of disorganized, though.  I was very disappointed in that.  The start time as I mentioned above was 9 AM.  However, it didn't start until 9:15.  Then, at the first turn of the course, I freaked out.  I saw the hill.  The exact hill from a previous 5K.  It is a terrible, horrible, no good hill that is EVIL.  After I got to the top of the hill, I knew a downhill was coming so I relaxed.  BUT WAIT.  At the other 5K that took that course, we turned after the hill to a flat segment.  Not for this race.  For this race, we kept going straight.  Straight into another hill.  Identical to the one before it.  Then I tackled that hill, and ran around the block, only to meet these same two hills yet again.  It was a loop.  Of course.  So in total, I ran 4 terrible, awful, no good hills.  Blech.  Anyway, I finished in an acceptable 33:39.  Considering I have not been running regularly, and the four hills of doom tried to kill me, I feel like I did pretty well.  Sorry my picture is a blur, but I was running too fast.  Haaaah.  Also, Mr. Marathon and I took our first run together for the month, and we ended up running a little over 2 miles in a little over 21 minutes.  Not too shabby!  Hopefully, we have some more training runs coming up.


No comments:

Post a Comment