Sunday, August 18, 2013

Helgramite Hustle Mud Run 5K

Last week, Mr. Marathon abandoned his normal road running for a new, more challenging terrain.  He registered for the Helgramite Hustle Mud Run that is held at the Smith River Sports Complex in conjunction with the Smith River Fest.  Oh, and he signed up for it on a whim.  He just thought to himself, "Oh!  This sounds delightfully fun!" and just went for it.  Little did he know what we was in for.  He says that running in the mud and completing all of the obstacles was very challenging.  He says he was SO TIRED during the run.  He says that he felt like he was slowing down.  Well I say WHATEVER.  I was watching him and did not see any of this.
Beginning of the race.   He is wearing the white shirt, jumping.

First of all, there was a big mud puddle to start out the race.  He "accidentally" ran around it.  He tippy toed around the puddle and then took off while others were wading through the mud and water. Then, he was off.  I decided to spectate only, and so I went across the festival to about mile 1.5 or so, where he would be running through shortly.  I was poised and ready with my camera.  We heard people splashing down the creek, and there he was, coming in first, speeding around the curve and I saw him climb up the rope out of the creek and he was gone.  So, I ran back to the starting line (also the finish line) and waited.  And waited.  It was so hot, and I was in suspense.  The finish line was on the other side of a field that the runners would be coming through.  They were going to pop out of the woods and then run through the field so I was watching the woods for a muddy Mr. Marathon.  I continued to wait, and then I saw a lone runner emerge.  I was so excited!  I couldn't tell if it was him at first, but then I realized that he was prancing, umm, I mean, running, in his usual style.  He was the first one, by a long shot.  He came running through the field over and through the final two obstacles with time for a quick dip in the puddle before victoriously crossing the finish line with a time of 22:45!

After he finished and  soaked up all the glory (and mud), the Axton Fire Department hosed him off so he could be camera-ready for an interview with a local news station.  After his interview, he went for a swim in the Smith River to cool off.  SO PROUD!  Even though he was muddy for days.... oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment